Welcome to CalArts!
This is intended to be a quick reference guide to the services that are available to you as a new CalArtian! If you have any questions, or need help with any of these services, please don't hesitate to contact us in the IT department!
How to Contact IT
If you have any questions or difficulties with CalArts accounts or processes, just contact IT and we can lend a hand. CalArts is a small community and we want to make sure every CalArtian's experience is as smooth and easy as possible!
Get to Know Your CalArts Accounts
There are two primary accounts that you will have at CalArts:
- Your CalArts Credentials
- Used primarily for the Hub (where your student services are) and the on-campus CASecure wireless network. We are continually adding new services and combining existing services that use your CalArts Credentials, so it will likely be your most used username and password! Keep in mind that all these services use the same password, so if you change your wireless network password it will also change your Hub password.
- Your Email account (CalArts uses Google Apps)
- Your CalArts email account will be the only avenue for Institute news, events, and other communications. Since we use Google Apps you can utilize your CalArts email account to log in to external services that offer Google logins. CalArts IT can only support problems with the web interface, however, so if you choose to use OS X Mail, Outlook, or the like we may be unable to help you.
These accounts are purposefully separate and we encourage you to have distinct passwords for each. Any accounts outside of these will likely be school, departmental, or special accounts that IT may or may not have involvement with and will be setup at a later time in your specific program or job.
What To Do First
Set Your CalArts Credentials Password
Your CalArts Credentials is certainly your most important CalArts account. It's used for everything from wireless access to financial information. Look for an email from the CalArts Admissions Office titled "Your new CalArts Credentials" containing your temporary password , then:
- Open your browser of choice (we generally recommend Firefox)
- Go to http://forms.calarts.edu/start
- Your username is going to be your first and last name with no spaces, similar to stevesmith or janetjohnson
- Use your temporary password from your new student email and click Login, at the next page you'll be able to set your password
Login to Your Email Account
This step comes only after your deposit has been processed.
The Admissions Office will send you an email with the subject line "Here's your new CalArts email address" containing your temporary CalArts email password. Upon your first login you will be prompted to change the password to something of your choosing.
At this time the only way to change a lost or forgotten email password is to contact IT.
- Open up your browser of choice
- Go to http://mail.alum.calarts.edu
- Login using your @alum.calarts.edu email address, like firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- Use your temporary password to login, then set a new password for your email account
If you need to reset your email password (if you don't have access to your account) all you need to do is submit an IT ticket. We're working on a self-service password reset and will be publishing it as soon as it's ready!
That's (basically) It!
We have a section of this website specifically for Students. You're encouraged to take a look to see what is available to you as a CalArtian. The list is constantly changing, so if you think there's something missing, or if you'd like to see something specific, please tell us!
Here are a few articles that might help get you started: