Welcome to the Copyleaks customer community. We're honored that you've chosen to work with us. It’s our utmost priority to ensure you have an excellent experience using our plagiarism detection services and working with our team from day one. We've compiled this page of resources to provide some essential information for success in the first weeks and beyond.
How do I Add the Canvas Plagiarism Framework to an assignment?
Add the Canvas Plagiarism Framework to the assignment
1. Log into Canvas as a teacher.
2. On the left panel of Canvas, select the Courses tab.
3. Choose the course you would like to add the Canvas Plagiarism Framework to.
4. On the left panel, select Assignments.
5. Click on the + Assignment button or select an assignment
6. To add the Canvas Plagiarism Framework, change the assignment Submission Type to Online, and choose: Text Entry or File Uploads.
7. To start using the Canvas Plagiarism Framework, Select Your Copyleaks Tool from the Plagiarism Review section.
8. Set up your customized plagiarism settings for this assignment.
9. Save or Save & Publish your assignment. As Canvas may not immediately notify Copyleaks that an assignment has been created, we suggest waiting up to 90 seconds between creating the assignment and making the first submission. This will allow Canvas to notify us that the assignment has been created.
Setting Similarity Report availability
When creating the Assignment, you can choose if and when the Similarity Report will be shown to students.
- Immediately: The Similarity Report will be available for students to view as soon as their submission has been given a plagiarism score (Finished processing on Copyleaks)
- After the assignment is graded: The Similarity Report will be able for student viewing once the assignment has been graded in Canvas.
- After the due date: The Similarity Report will be available to students when the assignment due date has passed.
- Never: The Similarity Report will never be shown to students but will be available for instructors to view when submission has received a plagiarism score from Copyleaks.
Accepted file types and sizes
- The maximum file size allowed is 25MB.
- The maximum document length allowed is 2000 pages (500K words).
- When creating/editing the Assignment, you should Restrict Upload File Types to the file formats below that are supported by Copyleaks.
- html, txt, csv, rtf, xml, htm, pdf, docx, doc, pptx, ppt, odt, chm, epub, odp, ppsx, pages, xlsx, xls
- LaTeX, py, go, cs, c, h, idc, cpp, hpp, c++, h++, cc, hh, java, js, swift, rb, pl, php, sh, m, scala
- gif, png, bmp, jpg, jpegcontent_copy
Accessing Similarity Reports
The Similarity Report can be accessed from within SpeedGrader.
1. Select SpeedGrader from the right-hand side of the assignment.
2. To view your Similarity Report, click on the percentage that is shown on the right side of the SpeedGrader. For this example, the percentage is 100%.
3. The similarity report will open in a new tab. Learn more about interpreting the similarity report and results here. Below are two examples of reports:
a. Breakdown of 3 types of similarity levels
b. A report that contains a Suspected AI Text alert
4. If a student's similarity report is still generating, you will notice a 'pending clock' alongside that student's submission as well as within SpeedGrader. This clock will disappear once the similarity report has fully generated. If a student's similarity report generating process failed, you will notice an 'exclamation mark' alongside that student's submission as well as within SpeedGrader. Click on it to show the error.
1. As Canvas may not immediately notify Copyleaks that the student submission has been created, we suggest waiting up to 90 seconds before clicking on the resubmit button. This will allow Canvas to notify us that the assignment has been created.
2. If a student uploads multiple versions of a document to the same assignment, we will NOT compare to their previous submissions. For example, if a student uploads Version 1, Version 2, and Version 3 of a document, we will NOT scan Version 3 against Version 1 and Version 2. However, if the student has uploaded this document to a different assignment, it will be compared. For example, if the assignment is uploaded to English 101 and History 101, we will compare the two against one another.
3. When Duplicating / Importing / Copying an assignment, the assignment Copyleaks configuration settings will NOT be copied into the new assignment.
4. If your admin has enabled the Show student information in results setting, instructors and admins will be able to see:
- The date & time of submission for the detected result.
- The user (via their email or username) who submitted the detected result.
See the screenshot below for an example of what this will look like on a similarity report.